Sunday, February 28, 2010

Dinner

One of my goals for 2010 (not a resolution necessarily, but something I'm taking small steps toward accomplishing) is to become a better cook.  Matt's a great cook, not the kind that needs recipes either.  He can whip something up just by looking in the fridge and checking out what we have to offer. 

This is a skill that I definitely do not possess.  I need recipes.  I don't like using them, but I need them.  I run into trouble when I'm following one and it isn't turning out well because I have no clue what I'm supposed to do to fix it.  Add more cheese, that will make it taste better.  Turns out that statement is not always correct and I have definitely learned that the hard way on more than one occasion.  So I've been trying to find new recipes on-line and in cookbooks to find out what works, what tastes good, and hopefully eventually be able to do it on my own.  Last week, I made panko bread coated chicken strips with spinach/broccoli macaroni and cheese.

 

It actually turned out pretty good, although it took a lot longer to make than I had anticipated!  Plus I got to use my individual crocks that I bought last year from World Market and haven't had a chance to use yet.  Yes, I buy cookware because of how cute I think it is and think about what I will use it for later.  

My only complaint about the meal was that I got both recipes from 30 Minute Meals, and Rachael Ray can kiss my ass because I have no idea how she made them in 30 minutes.  It might be that she has someone else prep everything so she doesn't have to do all that work, or it might be that she has more space/tools than I do.  Whatever it is, I am not thrilled to admit that it took me a little over two hours to do.

Most things that we try at my house feed way more than three, so if anyone ever wants to stop by for dinner let us know!




1 comment:

Jenny said...

You should try doing this with corn flakes. It may sound weird but put them in the food processor with some various seasonings. I use one egg and some milk to dip the chicken in before the crumbs. Then bake!