Saturday, February 6, 2010

Our First Big Commitment

A month ago next week, Matt and I adopted a new puppy.  I know what you're thinking, who gets a new puppy in January with two feet of snow on the ground?  People who have lost their damn mind, thats who.  



I've wanted a new dog for a couple of years now, but the time never seemed right.  I've always had roommates, or lived in small apartments, and have never really felt that I had the time to take care of another living thing.  Moving to our new home last year with our big fenced in yard definitely made me re-visit the topic again.  I went back and forth, flip flopping on the topic for months.  One day I knew it was time to add to our family.  The next day Baxter (Kristen's dog) would poop on my hairdryer and I would change my mind.



And then I got engaged.  For months it was weddings day in and day out, with no time to think about anything else.  Then Matt dropped the b word: babies.  And I almost had a panic attack.  Don't get me wrong, I love babies.  My nieces are fantastic.  But they get to go home with mom at the end of the day.  And I get to hand them off when they cry, or pee, or do anything else that might irritate me.  I'm not positive, because as far as I'm aware I don't have any children, but I'm pretty sure when they're your own you don't get to hand them off.



So, we find ourselves in our current situation.  New puppy check, baby conversation shelved.  At least for now.  We named her Scout.  I'm not sure why, there's no cool story.  Gammy thought of it, and she seemed like a Scout.  We're doing very well with potty training and for the first time since we got her she is very healthy.  So I'm enjoying my evenings and weekends with my two kids, and for now I'm happy to leave it that way.