Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Dog's Memory

So I've been trying to get Scout on a routine, getting her used to how things will go for the day.  I've also been trying to talk to her as much as possible, which sounds weird considering she's a dog, but I think the more that I say words when we're doing things, the more she recognizes those words later. 

For example, every time I let them out, we say outside.  Every time we feed her, its eat.  And unfortunately for her, every time she goes in her kennel, we say that too. 

I realized yesterday that I think she really understands most of these words.  Yesterday morning when she came back inside, I said kennel and she ran and hid in her bed.  Today was even better. 

I brought her in and said kennel.  She walked over to the room where her kennel is, and was going to actually get in it when I saw her just staring at the wall.  I went to go see what she was doing, and remembered that last night Matt re-organized the little room and her kennel was on the opposite side (behind her).  She just kept staring at the wall where her kennel should have been, and then looked at me like, "is this some weird trick?"  I pointed her in the right direction and left for work. 

It got me thinking, dogs are so simple that sometimes its refreshing. 

2 comments:

The Yellow Door said...

haha you're silly! wait till you have kids!!! can't wait to get one of my own, too bad it will be 2011 or 12!

Paige Elise said...

I LOVE how much English Raleigh knows... Funny what dogs catch on to.