Friday, April 23, 2010

Super Dog

I seriously think I have the best dog in the world.  I say that with complete sincerity, I am not exaggerating in the slightest.  We've had her for about three and a half months now and every day with her gets a little better.  I actually sit at work some days and get sad because I haven't seen her in awhile and I miss her.  These are a couple of the many reasons why I just can't get enough of her:

1. She gets excited about sleeping with me.  Ridiculously excited.  She knows when it is dark out and it hits a certain time if I start walking down the hall to my bedroom it is bed time and no matter what she is doing at that moment she takes off in a sprint towards my door.  Last night she had been sleeping in her dog bed for a couple of hours already, but it was getting close to my bed time.  She hadn't moved at all in probably over an hour, but I took two steps down that hall and somehow she jumped up out of a dead sleep and came after me.  I was just going to the bathroom, so she patiently went back to her bed and waited for bed time.  Some nights I try to leave her up playing with Baxter (they have so much fun together) and Kristen says she'll put her in my room when she goes to bed later.  It doesn't work.  She will either leave play time to follow me, or the second she notices I'm gone she'll sit by my door.  Sometimes when I try to leave her up with everyone else she'll sneak in my room behind me without me even noticing.  Matt says I should try harder to leave her up playing with everyone but I'm like if she works that hard to get to sleep with me how can I take that away from her?  The night I went to the ER last week Kristen said she sat outside my door crying because she thought I had gone to bed without her.  How can you not love that? 

2.  She loves the outdoors.  True she digs in the dirt sometimes (no one is perfect) but she just truly loves the outdoors.  Sometimes when I let her out in the morning I'll catch her just sitting on the corner of the deck with her eyes closed breathing in the morning air.  Unlike her good buddy Baxter, she never barks or whines to come in.  She will just patiently sit next to the door hanging out until someone remembers to let her back in.

3.  New people are no big deal.  Nobody likes to go to that house where somebody's dog freaks out because new people are there and they jump all over you, barking and slobbering.  Scout actually doesn't really like strangers (we think it has to do with something happening when she was super little), especially guys.  We're trying to work on her not being scared of people, but for the most part it works out.  We've had people over a couple of times since we got her and she usually just sleeps in her bed.

4.  She is Baxter's best friend.  I used to think it was just because they both got along with all dogs, which for the most part is true, but from day one the two of them have watched out for each other.  They truly are two very good friends and it is super cute to watch.  Plus, they entertain each other quite well (which means tired dogs by the end of the day!)

5. I'm very nervous about today.  Matt dropped her off this morning at the vet to get fixed.  I know it needed to be done (we don't want to be accidentally grandparents to puppies) but I'm still really sad for her.  I asked Matt if she looked scared when he dropped her off and he said she had her tail hiding between her legs, which is what she does when she is really scared.  My dad asked me right after we got her when we were getting her fixed and I told him we weren't really in a huge hurry.  He said most people are because it calms puppies down.  The funny thing is, even though she is still a young puppy she is the most chill dog in the entire world.  Another reason why I love her!!

I'm trying to think good thoughts but am going to be nervous until Matt goes and gets her.  I miss my little lady already!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

About #3, my dog is the dog that gets super excited to new people, even people she has already met. She used to be shy and scared of new people, like going to the bathroom when she met them. Now we have moved on to just being excited. I hope your dog just stays calm.

Stephanie Lynn said...

I hope so too!!