Thursday, April 15, 2010

Sick

I got sick this week.  I mean really sick, the kind I don't remember the last time I felt this way sick.

It all started on Monday at work.  I met Matt at the insurance agent's office to update our policy on his new car and my stomach started hurting.  I just thought maybe I needed to eat something and I would be cool.  That was very far from the truth.  Towards the end of the day it got even worse and I ended up throwing up in the bathroom at work so I decided to go home.  After stopping at a Mcdonald's off of the highway (yes, it was that bad) I made it home.  I thought if I just went to bed I would feel better.

Again, I was very wrong.  I was in the bathroom for about five hours straight that night pretty much violently ill (I'll leave it at that.)  Finally at about 10:30, after an hour of blood being involved (probably TMI), I decided that Matt probably needed to take me to the hospital.  So we left for Shawnee Mission Medical Center with me barely able to stand up because I was so dehydrated.

After we got there, it probably only took five minutes for someone to come see me but it felt like an hour.  They immediately took my blood and hooked me up to an IV so I wouldn't get any more dehydrated.  The doctor then came to see me and explained that most likely I had gastroenteritis, or the stomach flu.  He said that most people just get a little sick and their body fights it off.  A small percentage of people get violently ill, like me, and require prescription meds.

So three hours, two bags of fluid, two shots for nausea, one shot (in the butt) for pain, and a prescription for more anti-nausea medication we were off.  Unfortunately I asked him if it was contagious and he said yes (good luck gammy and Matt).  Then I asked how long until I would be cool and he said anywhere from 2-3 days to 7-10.  Awesome.  It has now been three days and for the most part I feel good, no more throwing up, but my stomach is still pretty sensitive and all I've eaten in the past three days has been toast, soup, and bananas.  Oh and the nurse did a bang-up job on my iv, so my arm is all bruised and looks like I've been shooting heroin for quite awhile now, at least what I imagine a heroin arm would look like.

Pretty much moral of the story is that it sucks using sick days being this sick because I couldn't eat anything, I couldn't go anywhere and most of the time I've been too tired to even really watch television and stay awake.  I might as well have been at work.

2 comments:

Paige Elise said...

Boo! Feel better!

The Yellow Door said...

At least I can honestly say my kids didn't give it to yoU!! That was like the first time ever they weren't sick!